Hope you all had a fabulous New Years Eve and are enjoying the last few days of relaxation between most of us head back to work or school on Monday.
At my holiday Christmas lunch at work, it is tradition that we play “Bad Santa” which is a variation of Secret Santa but steals up to three times are allowed! There was one particular item that I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted but alas, luck was not with me and the item was fully stolen by the time if was my turn to pick a gift.
What the item was was actually a book! I know, what a nerd right? Well not just any book, it was the Dirty Apron cookbook! For those who don’t know, Dirty Apron is a deli/cooking school here in Vancouver. I’ve always wanted to try their cooking classes but they are a bit pricey….one day…one day….. Anyhow, as I was frantically picking up the ingredients for my Christmas brunch at Costco (note to self, Costco fills up quick during the holidays, so go early….preferably before the store opens if you don’t want to spend 20 minutes circling the parking lot), I spied with my little eyes the Dirty Apron cookbook! Even better, it was only $20! I flipped through the book and spied the pistachio cream cheese brownies! Yum! Doesn’t that sound freaking amazing and fitting as I had a little jar of pistachio paste that I found in Seattle in the summer! Done and done!
I made these brownies to bring to a New Years day dinner and man, were they ever decadent! If you love rich, dense, and ultra chocolatey brownies, these are the ones for you. A small piece goes a long way and they are perfect with a cup of coffee. These also reminded me of the double chocolate brownies from Starbucks, so rich and melt in your mouth. Mmmmm, I’m still drooling over the memory of these brownies….if you are a chocolate lover, this is a must try recipe!
Pistachio cream cheese brownies (Recipe adapted from the Dirty Apron Cookbook*)
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 6 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup cream cheese (softened to room temperature)
- 1/6 cup granulated sugar
- 1 oz pistachio paste
- 1/2 tbsp whipping cream
*I have halved the original recipe. This recipe made 16 bars.
- Pistachio cream cheese – In a stand mixer, cream together the cream cheese, 1/6 cup of granulated sugar, pistachio pate, and whipping cream. Set aside when combined.
- Preheat oven to 325’F. Line 9- x 13 -inch pan with parchment paper and spray the pan with a non-stick cooking spray.**
- Melt the chocolate and butter on the stove top and set aside.
- Sift together flour and cocoa powder.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk the sugar and eggs together until light in colour and tripled in volume.
- Slowly whisk in the chocolate and butter mixture and whisk until uniformly combined.
- Slowly sift in the flour and cocoa mixture and whisk until combined.
- Spread the brownie base evenly into the pan.
- Spoon cream cheese mixture into a piping bag or a ziploc bag will do that trick and pipe 7 lines across the brownie base. Drag a small knife from side to side through the batter and the cream cheese mixture to form a pattern.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the batter is set and knife comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before cutting into bars.
**I didn’t have a 9- x 13 -inch pan so I used a 9 – x 9 -inch pan which yielded thicker brownies. Cooking time about 45 minutes.
Hope you all enjoyed this recipe! Happy baking! – J