I have a weird fixation with cake. I love cake and frosting, specifically cream cheese frosting but I don’t like all baked goods, like cookies, I’ll eat them if I’m desperate, but won’t go out of my way to eat them. At work recently, I had an intense craving for egg-y, vanilla cake. I also knew that with my unpredictable work schedule, I wouldn’t have time to wait for my butter to soften if I wanted to get to bed a decent hour. Instead, I needed to find a recipe that required no softened butter, so melted butter recipes or coconut oil recipes.
A couple clicks on google and up popped a “Lemon Pound Cake with Coconut Oil”. Looked simple enough and I had most of the ingredients save the half and half but I had buttermilk, same difference right? So off I went!
The cake was incredibly moist and dense. I altered a few things based on what I had and what I had energy for but the cake still turned out really well! The only thing I would change is the cooking time and temperature. At 300 degrees F., the cake needed every minute of the suggested 1 hour and 30 minute bake time to fully cook through. Because of the long bake time, the loaf was able to develop and nice crunchy crust that was delicious. The next time I make this though, I will try bake it at a higher temperature for a shorter period of time.
Simple butter free loaf cake (See original recipe here)
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup sugar*
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice**
- 1/2 cup buttermilk***
- 3 eggs
*the original recipe called for 1 and 1/4 cups of sugar. I personally that like overly sweet desserts and 1 cup of sugar was plenty for me.
**the original recipe called for 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1 tablespoon lemon zest. I was too lazy to zest the lemon so I used 2 tablespoons of lemon juice instead. The lemon flavour in the cake wasn’t prominent at all in my cake.
***the original recipe called for half and half. I didn’t have any so I substituted it with buttermilk instead.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Cream coconut oil and sugar together in the stand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add in lemon juice and buttermilk until well combined.
- Add in the dry ingredients – flour, salt, and baking powder and mix until just combined.
- Add in eggs one at a time until combined well combined.
- Pour batter into a buttered loaf pan. Bake for an hour and 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when poked down the middle.
- Let the cake cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Slice and serve!
Hope you enjoyed this recipe. As always, happy baking! – J