Have these pictures convinced you that little description is needed for this cake? No? Yes? This cake will sure to be a hit with whoever you choose to share it with! And the best part of it, it’s technically healthy for you; there are apples in it after all. Right? Perfect for breakfast I must say – heated up with a cup of coffee, how could you go wrong?
Spice maple upside down cake (see original recipe here)
- 2 – 3 granny smith apples – skilled, cored, and sliced*
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp + 1.5 tsp cinnamon**
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter – soften to room temperature
- 1 cup sugar***
*I used a 9 inch pan and found that 2 medium sized apples were plenty to fill the pan. The original recipe calls for 3 apples.
**I added the cinnamon for the “spice” factor of this cake. Feel free to add or leave out.
***I reduced sugar to 1 cup. The original recipe calls for 1 1/3 cups of sugar.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare 9 – inch cake pan – butter and dust with flour. Set aside.
- In a sauce pan, combine maple syrup and cinnamon (1 tsp) and simmer until reduced into 3/4 cups – about 20 minutes.
- Once the syrup is reduced, pour into prepared cake pan. Make sure the bottom of the pan is completely covered. Arrange apples into concentric circles on top of the maple syrup.
- In a bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients – flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. In another bowl, combine the wet ingredients – buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla.
- In your stand mixer fixed with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar on medium speed together until light and fluffy.
- Add flour mixture and buttermilk mixture into the mixer alternatively in three parts.
- Mix until just combined. Pour batter on top of the apples and maple syrup.
- Bake for an hour to an hour and ten minutes depending on your oven. Make sure a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove cake from the oven and let its sit for 15 minutes.
- Run knife around the sides of the cake. Place a plate on top of the cake pan and flip the cake over.
- Slice and serve!
As always, I hope you enjoyed this recipe! Happy baking! – J